History

A Growing Church for God’s People

In 1955 leaders in the North Mississippi Conference saw the need to establish a new church in the fast-growing community of East Columbus. Property was purchased which consisted of a brick residence, a garage with storage facilities and a three stable barn. On May 20, 1956, 50 persons met in the brick residence and organized a new church. The Reverend Prentiss M. Gordon, Sr. was appointed to the new congregation which was named Wesley Methodist Church. A first building, which over the years was lovingly called “the Green Building” because of its green exterior, was erected and the first worship service was held on June 17, 1956. There were 105 charter members. They were determined persons; people with a vision of the ministry that could be shared in the name of Christ. The new church was destined to grow.

 

1956 was the beginning of Wesley’s growing ministry. 1993 is the continuation of Wesley’s growing ministry. A beautiful sanctuary, an educational annex and our new Christian Life Center now house the many activities of our church. In the following pages you will see the faces of persons who presently share our vision of ministry; people who are helping Wesley to continue its growth. They are people of all ages, people with diverse talents and resources, and people at various stages of their spiritual pilgrimage. Some have been with Wesley since the very beginning. Some have recently joined our ministry. Together they are “Wesleyans.”